Give The Gift of a Bath 0 Comments
Self-care is often a trending-topic, and for good reason. Self-care can help us to decompress from everyday stress, and improve upon our physical and mental wellbeing. However, in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it is sometimes hard to stop and take time for ourselves.
Stress affects the mind and body, but it also affects your skin. It can cause acne or eczema flair ups, can create puffiness under eyes, or make skin unusually dry. Because the holidays are synonymous with stress, we encourage you to start making a conscious effort to include self-care into your routine more regularly. You can destress with a yoga class or a good book, but our favorite option is a warm bath. It affords you the time to let your mind wander, muscles to relax, and your soul to be soothed. Plus, it offers many excellect benefits for your skin.
Whether you already have weekly baths on your calendar, or are looking to incorporate baths into your evening routine, here are some tips to maximize the health benefits of a bath:
- Detox. The warm water and steam from your bath naturally opens pores, but for more detoxifying power add sea salt to your tub. It will help to draw out toxins from your body.
- Unplug. Make the tub a gadget-free zone to let your eyes and mind enjoy a much-deserved break from checking updates, emails, and the news.
- Relax. Add a handful of Bath Salts, essential oils, or Epsom salts to your tub to enhance its relaxation potential. Flowers like lavender, calendula, and chamomile, naturally soothe and calm muscles and the mind.
- Choose your products carefully. If you like bubbles in your bath, pay close attention to the products’ ingredients. Bubble bath is notorious for using artificial fragrance, sulfates (cleaning agent that creates sudsy bubbles), and parabens in their product formulation. As you soak in the tub, these ingredients have more time on your skin and can potentially cause more irritation or harm to you skin and body.
- Hydrate. Warm water, steam, and any detoxifying product additions can deplete your body of needed water. It’s important to re-hydrate with plenty of water once you’re finished with your bath. This becomes even more important if you decided to indulge in a glass of wine during your ritual.
- Take a quick shower first. If you have come from a workout, gardening, or any dirty job, rinse off the dirt, grime, and sweat off your body in the shower. The alternative is washing it off in the tub and it remaining in the water for the duration of your bath.
To entice you to take a soak, and to enhance your experience, we created B Soaked Bath Salts, a unique blend of detoxifying salts, calming oatmeal, and pure essential oils. Available in two scents - Purifying and Floral - our Bath Salts are a great self-care option as they help to sooth sore muscles and reduce inflammation. Treat yourself or give as a gift - either way, they are the gift that keeps on giving!
Guess The Number Of Scoops To Win! 100 Comments
CONTEST IS CLOSED. CONGRATS TO RITA G. WHO WON A $50 SALLY B'S GIFT CARD! SHE GUESSED 858 SCOOPS AND THERE WERE 859 SCOOPS!
A big order of Antioxidant Skin Boost scoops arrived and we decided to have a bit of fun!
Through Tuesday, September 12, 2017, guess how many scoops are in the jar. The closest number without going over will win a $50 gift certificate to Sally B's!
Enter your guess in the comment section below through September 12, 2017. We will announce the winner(s) via email on September 13, 2017!
Fine print: The person(s) choosing the number closest to the actual amount without going over will be gifted a $50 Sally B's Gift Card that can be used at www.sallybskinyummies.com through one year of the issue date. Winners will be notified by email on September 13, 2017. Gift cards are not redeemable for cash.
Back To School Skincare Tips For Students 0 Comments
The transition from summer to school can be stressful for students, especially those going to college for the first time. A new environment, schedule, and diet can disrupt your skin health, leaving skin to become blotchy, dry, or even break out. However, with thoughtful product selection, one thing can remain constant during this major life change: your skin health.
In the midst of the hustle of getting out the door and late night study sessions, there are several products that will help you maintain your normal glow.
- Cleanse your face morning and night. When you’re on the go, cleansing is a necessary step in your beauty routine to make sure all the dirt and bacteria is rinsed off your face. Consider using our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser. Not only will it keep your skin clean, but it also has anti-inflammatory properties to reduce any puffiness and/or redness from a long day.
- Use a daytime and nighttime moisturizer. You may not have control over your seat placement in class or where your bed is in your dorm, which may result in you being too close to the artificial heat or ac. Apply an enriching moisturizer, like our B Quenched or Nighttime Antioxidant Serum, to ensure skin won't dry out.
- Stay cool under pressure. Running to class? Keep your makeup from running with a spritz of our B Cool Misting Spray. The Organic Essential Oil of Peppermint will add an instant cool to your skin and the added Bamboo will help to set makeup.
- Get Your Beauty Sleep. Before your head hits the pillow, add a scoop of Antioxidant Skin Boost to your night serum or moisturizer. The enriching antioxidants inside will repair any damaged skin cells that may have occurred from too much sun or stress. While you may not be thinking of wrinkles now, these antioxidants will keep them from forming too soon.
While non-toxic, gentle products play a big role in keeping skin healthy, there are other lifestyle considerations that play a big role in your health:
- Don’t stress. Unhealthy levels of stress can affect the appearance of your skin, so make healthy lifestyle choices (think: diet and regular exercise) to keep stress levels low and balanced. Regularly getting to the gym can be tough with school meetings and study sessions, so think about biking to school or walking the long way to class. And when an unexpected stressful moment strikes…just breathe.
- Get plenty of good sleep. Pulling “all nighters” might seem like the thing to do during the school year, but getting good, restful sleep is essential for proper skin cell and tissue rejuvenation. Achieve restful sleep by clearing your head as much as possible before it hits the pillow. Don’t let your schoolwork or your social media streams be the last thing you see before you fall to sleep. Instead pick up a “for fun” book, chat with a friend, or listen to music to wind down.
- Increase your Vitamin D intake. Vitamin D, a nutrient our bodies cannot make on its own, plays a big role in bone health, as well as works to prevent some disease like cancer, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis. During the summer we get an enriching dose of Vitamin D from the sun, but that exposure significantly decreases once the school year starts. To make up for this loss, add Vitamin D-rich foods, like fish, dairy, cheese, and eggs, to your regular diet.
- Invite your friends over for a spa day. Regularly de-stress and pamper your skin with a spa day. Customize a B Green Mud Mask to meet the needs of your skin, use our Moisturizing Body Buff to exfoliate hands and feet, or paint your nails. Taking regular time out for you (and your skin) is a sure-fire way to keep it healthy.
- Stay hydrated. Dehydration has been known to cause dry skin, dark eye circles, and even acne. Stash a reusable water bottle in your satchel for on-the-go hydration, and instead of caffeine choose herbal tea or coconut water when possible.
Back To School Product Tips For Teachers 0 Comments
Back-to-school can be a stressful time for teachers. After a summer off, teachers must re-acclimate themselves to spending their days inside, on their feet, and navigating the new personalities of their students. During this transition, skin can react negatively.
Consider all new changes skin goes through during the first few weeks of the school year:
- a new sleep schedule, with a presumably earlier wake up call
- a decrease of Vitamin D from days spent outdoors in the sun
- increase exposure to indoor, artificial air, which can dry out skin
- inflammation from standing in front of a classroom
- increased hand washing (must avoid the germs!), which can dry out skin
- an increased use of makeup, since summers generally call for a more natural, less makeup look
During back to school, teachers may experience dry skin, cracked lips, and swollen hands and feet. Their skin may even break out as a result of this change. However, thoughtful skin care considerations can keep skin balanced and healthy, so that it doesn't skip a beat as it goes from beach to classroom.
Sally B's Back To School Product Tips For Teachers
- Cleanse twice a day. Wash face with a gentle cleanser, like our Tamanu Oil Luxury Facial Cleanser, both morning and night to keep pores free of dirt and bacteria. The added organic tamanu oil in our cleanser is a natural ant-inflammatory, which will calm skin from a stressful day.
- Add a moisturizer to your daily routine. Consider applying our B Quenched Facial Oil after cleansing each morning. This lightweight moisturizer quickly absorbs into skin to add lasting moisture to skin so that it is less likely to dry out from the indoor AC that will no doubt be on in full force to keep classrooms cool.
- Stash a moisturizing lip product into your school bag. Teachers do a lot of talking, which can cause lips to dry out. Our Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment adds moisture to lips, while creating a silky, smooth shine. A double duty product for hard working teachers!
- Take care of your hands. Hands can become rough and dry from excessive hand washing and increased work like writing on the board, flipping through papers, etc. Keep a jar of Healing Hand Butter on the desk and moisturize often.
- Get your beauty sleep. Before falling asleep at night, slather feet in our Luxe Body Butter, add a scoop of Antioxidant Skin Boost to your nighttime moisturizer, and put some Intensive Eye Repair under your eyes. Let the good-for-you ingredients repair cells, enhance your beauty, and soothe your skin.
While carefully selected products will be a huge help for your skin, there are other additions you can make to your day to keep your health and skin happy.
- Increase your water intake. You can become easily dehydrated from artificial air and general inflammation from being on your feet. Stay away from too many sugary drinks and keep a reusable water bottle close by. Drink, drink, drink!
- Increase your Vitamin D. Vitamin D, a nutrient our bodies cannot make on its own, plays a big role in bone health, as well as works to prevent some disease like cancer, diabetes, and multiple sclerosis. During the summer we get an enriching dose of Vitamin D from the sun, but that exposure significantly decreases once the school year starts. To make up for this loss, add Vitamin D-rich foods, like fish, dairy, cheese, and eggs, to your regular diet.
- Incorporate exercise into your day. Exercise is known to reduce stress, as well as increase blood flow to the school. For your mental and skin health, you can walk, do yoga, or hit the gym.
The start of the school year might bring stress to your skin, but it's also the start of something fantastic. We love the hard working teachers who work so tirelessly to enrich the minds and lives of our curious young ones.
The Importance of the EWG VERIFIED program 0 Comments
This week we're celebrating the approval of our 18th product earning the EWG VERIFIED™ seal (yay!), and could not be more proud of this accomplishment. Becoming EWG VERIFIED is not for the weary, as the process has stringent guidelines and a meticulous application process. But the rewards are great, as the seal is tangible evidence that our products meet and, in some cases exceed, some very strict standards of safety.
We can't keep Sally from crowing about her growing collection of EWG VERIFIED products, so we channeled her excitement in Q+A form!
What makes products that earn the EWG VERIFICATION™ special?
When I decided to turn my hobby into a business, I knew there would be regulations and requirements that I needed to become familiar with. But instead, I was surprised to find that cosmetic industry was self-regulating. This meant that all the products I had used throughout my life may or may not have been safe.
It became the mission of Sally B's to ensure that every ingredient was carefully researched and sourced before adding to a formulation. We also wanted to set our products apart by being 100% transparent with our labeling and marketing. But aside from my confidence in our products and our word, what would make our products stand out as safe, beneficial, and of high quality?
We considered certifying our products as organic by the USDA Certified Organic program. While our products could earn the seal, a recognizable shopping icon, the program was written for and mostly applies to food products. While technically our products are safe to ingest, we don't recommend doing so. Have you heard someone qualify their skin care purchase by saying, "I only put on my skin what I would eat?" Our response to that is, you absolutely want to use organic shea butter or organic tamanu oil on your skin, but you definitely wouldn't want to eat either.
Right at the point that we felt that we had to make this crucial decision whether or not to apply for USDA certification, we were introduced to the EWG VERIFIED program. This program offers us the opportunity to earn a seal that indicates that our formulas have been scrutinized for safely like no other program available in the United States. It is an identifying marker that we are proud to put on our products.
Why are not all Sally B's products EWG VERIFIED?
Some of our formulas simply don't apply for verification. For example, we label our B Unbitten as a bug repellent and there is currently no "licensable category" for bug repellents.
Then there are just some ingredients that are more difficult to get verified, like essential oils. The EWG has very strict criteria regarding certain essential oils. We have been asked to supply specific testing results for components of certain essential oils. For example, in order to get products with Organic Peppermint Essential Oil approved, we had to supply test results that measured the amount of Pulegone in the oil. None of my very reputable suppliers had ever tested for Pulegone. We eventually did find a supplier that tested for it, but with that comes time and costs to get that newly sourced ingredient into our production chain. And Organic Peppermint Essential Oil is not the only ingredient like this.
Even though there are challenges, we believe in the EWG VERIFIED program so much that we are willing to jump through the hoops to get our current collection and future products verified. We will update you as products become verified...stay tuned!
Why should shoppers choose an EWG verified product over one that is not?
The EWG program is rigorous and their standards meet or exceed other programs. We often look to Europe and Canada to provide standards of excellence when it comes to formulating safe cosmetic products. Those countries have banned approximately 1300 ingredients from cosmetic formulations on the market. The USA has banned 11. The EWG takes much of this information, as well as their own quality standards, and uses it when evaluating a product produced here.
What does EWG VERIFIED mean to Sally B's Skin Yummies?
This verification seal has given us the backing and the credibility to stand behind what we say about our products. We make our products to create effective, non-toxic alternatives to everyday products. We use the highest concentration of certified organic ingredients available. And now with the EWG VERIFIED seal, we can say that we have been scrutinized and approved by one of the most highly recommended sources for personal care product safety.
Make-Up Free, But Not Skincare Free 0 Comments
From celebrities to everyday women, going without makeup is becoming more commonplace. We even see it with our customers since our skincare products have shown to improve skin tone and texture. Why not show off that beautiful skin with a makeup-free day. While inspiration behind the makeup-free look varies from woman to woman, we applaud the confidence to create your own personal look and display your natural beauty.
If you decide to adopt a makeup-optional look, it’s important not to also cast aside your daily skin care products. Recently we watched an online video comparing a makeup-free and a full makeup application routine; the woman going without makeup simply splashed some water on her face before heading out the door to start her day. We wish getting ready in the morning was that simple, but our skin needs daily enrichment from our products to stand up to the elements and the daily stresses placed on the skin.
Understanding the needs of your skin is important so that you can determine the best course of action for its health. There are several things to consider when picking products for your daily routine:
Antioxidants are necessary and help to minimize the signs of aging. From artificial indoor air to smog-filled streets, our skin is constantly tested by the elements. Some of these external factors – like UV rays from the sun or cigarette smoke – can create an imbalance within skin cells (aka create free radicals), which can result in a number of skin ailments. Antioxidants are essential to restore balance to the damaged cells. While we can introduce antioxidants to our body through diet, skin care products are also an effective additional form of delivery. Look for products like our Daytime Antioxidant Serum, which is packed full of ingredients that are natural antioxidants, like Organic Green Tea and Organic Olive Leaf Extract.
Your body doesn’t naturally produce Vitamin E. Vitamin E is one of the most powerful antioxidants available to fight free radicals, but our bodies don’t produce it naturally. It is a primary defender against oxidation, and studies show that when topically applied, it can reduce UV-induced skin damage. We use a Vitamin E derived from non-GMO soybeans and have incorporated it into several of our products, including our Carrot Facial Dream Cream as a daily, proactive line of defense against the sun’s harmful rays. You can help boost your declining collagen production.
As we age, our ability to naturally produce collagen diminishes, which is the reason for fine line and wrinkles. There are ingredients, however, which have been found to encourage its production, like pea peptides. Found in our Peptide Booster Serum, peptides are proteins that help produce collagen so that skin stays soft, supple, and smooth.
It is important to wash your face twice a day. You’ve heard that cleansing too often can irritate skin or strip the face of necessary oils. However, cleansing is important to rid skin of lingering sweat, bacteria, and other pore-clogging bacteria. Choosing a gentle, yet effective, cleanser like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, will keep your skin clean, calm, and smooth.
Moisturizing is important for all skin types. Sure some environments need more moisture than other, it’s always important to incorporate at least one moisturizer in your daily routine. Artificial air or a simple change in diet or fluid intake can quickly dehydrate skin. Let products like our B Quenched, formulated with moisture-rich Organic Black Cumin Seed Oil, Organic Camellia Oil and Organic Argan Oil – keep your skin hydrated.
Lips aren’t just for lipstick. Even though you’re ditching the lip color, using the right lip products will keep them from drying or cracking. We love our Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment for it’s easy application, vanilla taste, and its ability to moisturize lips. Our Lip Yummies are another favorite go-to for on-the-go moisturizing applications.
SPF protection is an everyday thing, even when it is cloudy or cold outside. The sun's UV rays can do serious damage on skin. Through an oxidation process, they transform healthy skin cells to free radicals. To prevent this from happening, sunscreen is an effective first line of defense.
While your makeup might not be going on that beach vacation with you this summer, we implore you to take the essential skin care products needed to keep your skin healthy. But what are the essential products? We recommend using our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser twice a day, and daily usage of moisturizing and skin-enriching products like our Daytime Antioxidant Serum, Carrot Facial Dream Cream, Antioxidant Skin Boost, or Peptide Booster Serum. Since all skin is different, we recommend starting a new skincare routine with our Traveler, which contains 6 plentiful portions of our most popular skincare products. It is a great way to discover what works best for your skin. And as always, if you have ever any questions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
With a good foundation of skincare products and the resulting healthy skin, we invite you to go out with your own fresh face as an emblem of your good health and vigor. Celebrate that beautiful face!
5 Reasons To Sign Up For Our Newsletter 0 Comments
On July 1st, we're giving away a $25 gift card to Sally B's and YOU could be the lucky recipient. Through June 30th, enter by signing up for our newsletter* in the field below.
But why would you want to signup for our newsletter? We'll give you five very good reasons:
- Become Your Own Expert. With an absence of strict government regulations surrounding ingredient safety and marketing claims, it is up to you to self-police the industry. Our weekly blogs aim to inform you on how to navigate your way through the skin care aisles, how to avoid potentially harmful products, and choose the products that are right for you.
- Be The First To Know About Cool, New Ingredients. Ingredient research and discovery is one of our favorite things. We hand make our products in small batches for this very reason. When new, beneficial ingredients are "discovered," like pea peptides or arnica, we incorporate them into our products where we can, and then update you!
- Get Seasonal Skin Care Tips. Weather can influence the appearance of our skin, but we give you timely tips to keep your skin healthy and balanced. Like in the winter, use an extra moisturizer and avoid scalding hot showers, or in the summer beat the heat by letting peppermint cool your skin.
- Be The First To Know About Our Sales. We have weekly and seasonal sales, and we update you via email. Plus, learn about contests, promos, and other company happenings!
- Be Inspired to Take Control of Your Personal Health. It's so easy to say, "I'll start tomorrow." Our emails are full of easy-to-incorporate healthy lifestyle tips that are easy to implement today! From drinking an extra glass of water or to adding a dry brush to your nightly routine, we give a myriad of tips so that you can pick what works for you and your personal health care journey.
To sign up for our newsletter, add your email address to the pop up box that may appear in the bottom, right hand corner of your screen. Or fill out the form below! You can opt out anytime.
On May 1st we will randomly select the winner of our $25 gift card and announce it here on this page, as well as email the winner directly.
*all subscribers on our email address are entered to win
Congrats to our June winner, Kristin B!
Bounce Back After a Day of Sweet Treats 0 Comments
Valentine’s Day always warrants a bit of over indulgence, especially in the sugar department. A couple of chocolate kisses leads to a handful of candy hearts, and before we know it we’ve eaten our way through Valentine’s Day. While we might go to sleep happy, it’s easy to wonder what all that sugar does to our diet and skin.
We believe in moderation, so one day of sweet treats will not have a lasting affect on your skin. But, it is important to know that too much sugar day-after-day can cause a ruddy complexion, acne, and accelerate the signs of aging. Understanding how sugar affects skin is important in knowing how to keep it looking its best.
When we consume sugar our bodies convert it to glucose. It’s great for giving us energy (albeit temporary energy with an inevitable crash), but not so great for our skin. Glucose attaches itself to collagen, causing it to be tough and inflexible. With poor elasticity, skin is unable to bounce back into place; facial lines can become more visible; and wrinkles begin to appear. Sugar also creates inflammation in our bodies, which can manifest itself into rosacea, acne, or increased pore size.
After a day of sweet treats, a little self care and diet considerations can help your body to bounce back to a healthy balance:
- Drink lots of water. No matter what ails your skin, water lends much-needed hydration to skin. Staying hydrated keeps skin tissue healthy and happy so that it always performs at its best.
- Eat antioxidant rich foods. Studies have shown that sugar can produce high levels of free radicals within the body. Antioxidants are nature’s line of defense against free radicals, so supplementing your diet with antioxidant-rich foods like blueberries, strawberries, and leafy greens can help repair cells and the appearance of your skin.
- Get some sleep. The "beauty sleep" cliche is true! Sleep will allow your body to repair itself and get those skin cells in good working shape. So yes, we're giving you permission to take a nap!
- Exercise. Running, walking, or even yoga help to increase blood flow to the skin to help keep it clear and free of toxins. Plus, exercise keeps your stress levels low, which will also be helpful while your skin is in repair mode.
And what products will help in a sugar recovery? Be sure that your routine is in place with clean products that will not add to your inflammation.
- Cleanse. Make sure to cleanse skin morning and night with a gentle cleanser, like our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser. Not only will it clean skin, but also the Organic Tamanu Oil in the formulation has natural anti-inflammatory properties.
- Refine pores. After cleansing, use our Fruit Acid Toner to slough off dead skin cells, unclog pores, and refine skin. Then, apply a custom B Green Mud Mask to further refine pores, reduce inflammation, and add moisture. We recommend mixing our Mud Mask’s clay base with avocado (moisturizing antioxidant), banana (anti-inflammatory), organic honey (moisturizing + gentle exfoliant) and/or plain organic yogurt (moisturizing + anti-aging).
- Moisturize. After toning and/or applying a Mud Mask, pores will be clear and skin will be primed to absorb the good-for-you ingredients from skin care products. We recommend using a cell-enhancing moisturizer like our Peptide Booster Serum mixed in with our Daytime Antioxidant Serum or Nighttime Antioxidant Serum. The pea peptides in our Peptide Booster Serum naturally boost the skin’s collagen and elastin production, while the ingredients in the Antioxidant Serums will moisturize and fuel the skin with much needed antioxidants.
While we recommend this routine as a reparative solution, these products also make for a good proactive routine. Treating skin routinely with antioxidants and moisture creates a foundation of healthy tissue and cells, so that when your Valentine tempts you with a delicious slice of chocolate cake, you can pick up the fork and indulge.
How Stress Affects Skin Health 1 Comment
Stress can pop up anytime in our lives, whether from circumstances of the unknown, your sports team losing, or a tough day at work. We can also bring stress onto our body through environment, diet, and exercise. While stress can certainly take a toll on our emotions, unhealthy stress levels can also affect the appearance of our skin. According to WebMD.com, stress causes a chemical response in your body that makes skin more sensitive and reactive. The website explains that your body produces more hormones and cortisol during times of stress, which kicks your sebaceous glands to gear, producing more oil. This can cause your skin to break out, become more “ruddy” in complexion, or even become inflamed. It can also make it harder for skin to heal.
Managing stress might seem like a big undertaking, but conscious and thoughtful actions throughout the day can begin to introduce balance into your daily life, thus reducing stress levels. Here are a few ways to reduce stress:
- Get plenty of good sleep. Good sleep is distraction-free sleep, so check the electronics at the door. Create a bedtime routine that allows you to de-stress with a good book, calming music, or mediation before hitting the sack. And yes, shooting for a 7-8 hour night’s sleep is an ideal target.
- Take regular baths. A warm bath can calm you both physically and mentally. Plus, its warm water and steam can naturally open pores to help draw out toxins from your body. Note: If you want to enhance your experience with bubbles, make sure to read ingredient labels! Make sure you’re using a sulfate free, chemical-dye, and artificial fragrance-free product!
- Incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Running, yoga, and swimming are all great ways to burn off steam and keep your body strong and healthy. Exercise also increases blood flow to the skin to keep it free of toxins.
- Drink lots of water. Dehydration can cause skin to become dry and lose elasticity. Drinking water keeps skin moisturized, as well as keeping body systems in check and working their best. Keeping your body healthy will allow you and your body to recover more quickly when stress does creep in.
- Use products made with gentle, non-toxic ingredients. Chemical ingredients can cause unnecessary stress by overwhelming your system. Using plant based, organic ingredients carries added benefits for your health.
- Keep skin clean. Cleansing your skin twice a day will ensure that your skin is free of bacteria, dirt and makeup that might have accrued overnight or during the day. Try our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser , made with gentle ingredients that cleanse and heal. Plus, the organic Tamanu Oil has natural anti-inflammatory properties to calm skin.
- Apply a mud mask. Our B Green Mud Mask is a customizable mask that will, among other things, moisturize, calm, and remove toxins from skin. A great treatment for skin stressed from external, environmental factors, like extreme wind or seasonal dryness.
- Increase your antioxidants. Stress, especially stress from environmental factors, can cause skin cells to become imbalanced and form free-radicals. Antioxidants are nature’s defense against free radicals, so maintaining a steady intake of antioxidants – whether from your skin care or diet – will keep your skin protected proactively instead of having to repair it re-actively. Looking to add antioxidants to your skin care routine? Try our Antioxidant Skin Boost.
Creating a daily skin care routine with good-for-you products will give your skin an advantage when stress does creep in. Not only will they keep your skin performing at its very best, but the hardworking, multi-tasking, plant-based ingredients found inside your products will be poised and ready to go should there ever be a need for extra help against the burdens of stress.
The Chapped Lip Remedy 0 Comments
Chapped lips are one of the most common skin ailments, and among one of the most irritating. They can be the result of dry weather, frequent lip licking, or dehydration. Luckily, the remedy is usually simple. An easy application of lip balm can quickly make lips soft and smooth. However, choosing the right lip product is essential to your success and the overall health of lips.
A lip balm is typically the go-to choice for chapped lips. But all too often lip balms will contain mineral oil, a petroleum byproduct and a known carcinogen. This ingredient allows a product to boast moisturizing benefits, but in fact lip balms made with mineral oil only offer temporary relief. Mineral Oil creates an impermeable barrier that traps your body’s current moisture in, giving you the feeling of relief. It does not allow for additional moisture to penetrate skin. This is the reason why you find yourself constantly applying certain lip balm products. Instead, look for products that use mineral oil alternatives like coconut oil. Organic coconut oil is the hero ingredient in our Lip Yummies, which works from deep within the layers of skin to truly moisturize and nourish lips. It gives an instant boost of moisture, while allowing lips to still "breathe," benefiting from the other good-for-you ingredients in your product, or the environment's natural moisture.
But how can you avoid chapped lips in the first place? We're glad you asked! Our Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment is a transparent lip gloss that features active, plant-based botanical and moisture-rich, organic oils and butters to soothe lips, minimizing the appearance of dry, chapped lips from deep within. With its subtle gloss, it can enhance your lip's natural color when worn alone, or add a sleek finish when worn atop your favorite lip color.
With the added healing power of organic Gotu Kola and the anti-aging benefits of Vigna Acontifolia, our Lip Assist works double duty to keep lips moisturized and the area around your mouth youthful. The skin around your lips is prone to fine lines and wrinkles (from all the smiling you do), but our Lip Assist is formulated with some of the hardest working anti-aging ingredients to keep your smile looking youthful. In addition to using this product during the day, we suggest liberally applying it to lips and the skin around the lips right before going to bed.
When talking about lip products we would be remiss to not warn against colored lip products. In 2007, the Campaign For Safe Cosmetics published the study A Poison Kiss: The Problem of Lead in Lipstick, which first alerted consumers to the all too common problem of lead in lipstick. The dangers of lead exposure can vary from developmental problems in children to cancer in adults. While it should register as a concern for everyone, pregnant women and young children are the two groups that should take particular caution against lead. From the earliest stage in the womb to age 6, kids are undergoing their most vulnerable developmental stages, which can be negatively affected by the presence of lead. But how does lead find its way into lipsticks and lip glosses? Lead is an unintended contaminant or impurity that can be present at low levels in some color additives and in other common ingredients, like water, that are used to produce cosmetics. Luckily for us, today’s cosmetics market boasts a plethora of non-toxic lip coloring options, like naturally occurring micas, which we use to color our B Glossy Lip Gloss and Lip Skinnies. Instead of water to add moisture to our products, we use organic oils and butters that do not have traces of lead.
Wonder if your lipstick contains lead? Look it up on the EWG's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. This independent cosmetics watchdog has safety tested thousands of products and will reveal any known toxins or potential health concerns of your products.
Chapped lips do not be an inevitable side effect of daily life. Being prepared with the right products, containing the right ingredients can make all the difference.
Transitioning to a Healthy New Year 0 Comments
With the New Year comes the renewed vigor to transform our lifestyles. Whether it is a new diet, workout goal, or the pledge to use healthier skin care products, a change in lifestyle can impact the appearance of your skin.
A major change – like increased sweating from a new workout, additional sun from an outdoor running routine, or simply a change in the foods you eat – can change the texture of your skin or even cause blemishes. In fact, often times your skin is first to show change, the good, the bad, or the ugly. So how exactly do you care for your skin when making changes? Very good question.
If you’re going healthy in 2017, we absolutely recommend adopting a non-toxic skin care routine in conjunction with whatever your resolution is. However, it’s important to add new products gradually, even non-toxic products. Anything new, including plant-based ingredients, can be a shock to your system if introduced all at once. Especially when your body is busy adapting to another change.
For transitions like this, we developed our Skin Care Detox programs for face and body. The products used in the detox programs are made with the fewest number of ingredients, which are clean, organic when possible, and gentle as to work with all skin types. Many are also unscented or very lightly scented, as fragrance, even when from natural sources like organic essential oils, can be irritating at first. Each program comes with only the necessary products for your routine so that you’re not burdening your skin with too many products and ingredients.
During the duration of the Detox programs – which last about a month – skin becomes balanced and begins performing at its very best. Plus it becomes primed for additional products within Sally B’s non-toxic skin care collection. A great group of products that we always recommend as “firsts” for people just beginning a non-toxic skin care journey are Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, Lip Assist Conditioning Treatment, Get Even Finishing Powder, and Daytime and Nighttime Antioxidant Serums. These products work with most skin types and make skin look even more dazzling.
As you continue on during your health journey, here are some tips to help transition to healthier products:
- Take Inventory. Make a list of all the personal care products you use and research their toxicity on the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. You’ll notice that some of your products will rank higher than others, so those are the ones you’ll want to swap out first.
- Swap out your products as you run out of them. When you’re out of moisturizer, replace it with a healthy option. This will give you time to get used to new products while implementing a gradual change in your daily routine.
- Start with nighttime products. After all, they do call it “beauty sleep." While you’re fast asleep your skin is hard at work. Give it the opportunity to absorb good-for-you ingredients and rejuvenate. Our Antioxidant Boost is a great way to nourish your skin; plus you can mix it with your existing night cream, lotion, or our Antioxidant Nighttime Serum.
- Clean your brushes. Something often overlooked, but very important, is to always remember to switch or clean your brushes when you switch to a new makeup. Bacteria and chemical residue from a previous product can accumulate in brushes and we don’t want anything interfering with your new, healthy products.
Lastly, with any new skin care product we always recommend that you do a patch test by placing a small amount of the product the underside of your forearm to see how your skin reacts. This is especially important for people who have known plant based allergies, as natural products are largely derived from plants.
Congratulations on your decision to make the switch to healthier products!
We all have our own health care journey and specific skin care needs, but it is always helpful to have guidance when we first set out to change or improve upon our routine. While we tell you about our products’ ingredients and benefits, hearing how someone else, with a similar skin type and skin goals, uses them can be more beneficial.
Our employees have always been our guinea pigs (who else is going to try our new products?!) and our biggest fans, so you can imagine that many conversations in the kitchen/lab turn to what products we’re loving. Recently we profiled one of our employees, an early 30’s mom who was dealing with seasonal dry skin. Today we introduce to Nancy, an integral member of our production team. She is 61-years old and has dry to normal skin. Like many others her age, she is working to minimize the signs of aging. For her, it’s the combination of moisture, antioxidants, and peptides that is keeping her skin healthy and looking its best.
About a year ago she made the switch to a non-toxic, organic routine filled with Sally B’s Skin Yummies' products. At the foundation of her routine is our Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser, which she uses morning and night. This helps keep her skin clean and primed to benefit from the nutrients inside the moisturizers she follows up with. In the morning she uses 1-2 pumps of each our Peptide Booster Serum, Daytime Antioxidant Serum, and Carrot Facial Dream Cream (remember: apply your products from thin to thick so that they can absorb properly into skin). Then, she finishes her look with Luxury Mineral Foundation and B Cheeky Blush.
In the evening, after cleansing, she has a similar line up of products as in the morning: Peptide Booster Serum, Nighttime Antioxidant Serum, and Carrot Facial Dream Cream. Three times a week she adds a scoop of Antioxidant Skin Boost in with the Nighttime Antioxidant Serum for an extra boost of free-radical neutralizing antioxidants.
Her dry skin is not limited to her face though. To keep her skin balanced, three mornings a week she treats her body to an all over scrub with Peppermint Moisturizing Body Buff. The essential oil of peppermint helps wake her up, and the organic shea butter keeps skin hydrated. So hydrated, in fact, that she doesn’t have to follow up with lotion or cream.
For Nancy, this routine has made her skin healthier and plumper. But best of all, she loves that her skin “just feels good.” Those who subscribe to a healthy skin care routine understand this – it’s hard to describe healthy, happy skin. Often times it is an indescribable glow, and other times it is a simple, “it just feels good.” But even though it is hard to describe, one thing is for sure: you will know when you find the perfect routine for you.
You want to be healthy, and you want your skin to look its very best. So you pamper your skin with this product and that product, and pay close attention to what you eat. When you choose foods, you more than likely pay attention to the nutrition facts and ingredient lists, choosing foods that fuel your healthy daily allowances and aren’t made with artificial ingredients. But are you as scrupulous with your skin care selections?
Beauty aisles are littered with products and marketing claims promising that their formulas will improve skin appearance and texture, remove dark spots, and reduce the signs of aging. Like fad diets that give temporary results, oftentimes products made with artificial or chemical ingredients offer the same thing – a temporary mask without improving skin from deep within. Studies and experience have taught us that eating organically is the best decision for our overall health, so it can be deduced that organic skin care products are also worth the effort.
Think about a transdermal patch – a small patch that is applied directly to the skin to deliver a dose of medication to the bloodstream. Your skin allows the medication on these patches – most often aids to help people quit smoking, or birth control methods - to enter your skin and alter your body’s functions. This is all topical. There is no special delivery system in these patches...except for your skin of course. The ingredients in your skin care products are no different. When you massage lotion on your skin, where does it disappear? The ingredients are absorbed by the skin and into the bloodstream.
Choosing organic skin care products takes an extra step. There is a bit of research and due diligence to be done, but it is worth it. Your health is worth it. Here are 5 reasons why it is worth searching out organic and plant-based skin care products:
- Because you want to put only the healthiest, safest ingredients on your face and body. In the United States, there are few safety regulations within the skin care industry. And that’s a scary thing for your health. Skin care products can play host to a number of chemical ingredients that are skin and health irritants - including parabens, carcinogens, and allergens. An eye-opening fact: there are currently 12,500 ingredients used in skincare products, but the United States has tested only 11% and banned only 8. The European Union, however, has banned 1,100 ingredients, labeling them as hazardous chemicals. Choosing products made with non-toxic and organic ingredients helps to keep your skin and body performing at their very best.
- You will notice a difference in the tone and texture of your skin.You might have read stories about beauty icons from centuries ago – think Cleopatra, Nefertiti, and Guinevere – who relied on plant-based ingredients for their beauty. We’re finding that there is plenty of truth in legend. Taking our beauty practices back to basics – or back to nature – has proven that our skin craves the gentle and nourishing benefits of organic, plant-based ingredients. While you may be skeptical now, making the switch will have a big impact on your skin’s appearance and health.
- You are preserving the planet’s health and making it a bit more beautiful, too. Purchasing an organic product potentially removes a chemically laden product from being used. This means that toxic ingredients washed down the drain are not disrupting our delicate eco-systems. With few government regulations on skin care ingredients, keeping certain chemicals out of nature is an initiative that must be taken by skin care manufacturers and consumers. There is progress being made with some states banning ingredients, like plastic, exfoliating micro-beads and Triclosan, but until it becomes more wide spread it is up to you to do your research. Be sure to look for companies who source their ingredients from renewable resources that are sourced ethically and responsibly. This helps to keep our planet’s resources balanced and healthy.
- Organic products work. For too long “organic” translated to “granola” and the misconception that organic products could not perform like products made with chemical and artificial ingredients. However, over the years we have found sources for beneficial organic and plant-based ingredients that contribute to our success in making healthy products that work. In fact, we hear every day from customers who are amazed at the effectiveness of our serums or moisturizers. It is why we do what we do each and every day – so that we can share our excitement and successes with everyone around the world.
- Your Health is Worth It. We all have a health journey. Whether it is cancer, skin ailments like eczema, or the desire to lose weight, we have found through customer accounts, personal experiences, and research, that eliminating certain chemicals in personal care products can alleviate symptoms. Conscious skin care choices, made in tandem with a healthy lifestyle and diet, can even be preventative solutions for some health issues. The symbiotic relationship we have found between feeding your skin and feeding your body is important to understand when taking inventory of your health and well being.
No matter what type of skin you have – oily, dry, or combination – thoughtful product selection can have a dynamic impact on your overall health. Yes, not just your skin health, but overall health. But don’t take it from us. Make a conscious effort to swap your products out for organic, plant-based alternatives and discover for yourself just how positively your skin, and body, will react to the change.
Detox Your Skin After An Epic Vacation 0 Comments
Your vacation was epic! But between the long travel days, new environment, prolonged days outside, or a departure from your day-to-day skin care routine, your skin may return home craving some extra TLC.
It's normal for skin to react to a new environment. Maybe you experienced drying air during a long flight or higher than usual humidity. You could have worn more sunscreen and spent more time outdoors. And we all know that we over indulge on good eats when we travel! So it's no surprise our skin can be a bit out of balance when we return back to "real life." But we have the answer - our Facial Detox Box.
Like a juice cleanse or food detox that rids your body of toxins, a skin detox works in a similar way. Our first-of-its-kind Facial Detox Box offers four essential and gentle products to help restore your skin's natural, healthy glow.
The back-to-basics program, rids skin of toxins and feeds it with beneficial ingredients to balance, moisturize, and repair. The program comes with an easy-to-follow routine and with enough product to last about a month. While you may start seeing your skin return back to normal in a week or two, you can still continue with these products and gradually introduce other products that your skin was accustomed to.
Meet The Sally B's Detox Boxes 1 Comment
You've heard of diet detoxes, and might have even tried one. But a skin detox?
As a small business we're in close communication with our customers. This has given us the opportunity to hear about your successes and fails when it comes to a change in lifestyle, whether it be from a change in diet, exercise routine, or even a desire to transition to healthier products. When you are consciously ridding your body of toxins, what you put on your skin matters. Even if you're already using organic ingredients, even the healthiest ingredient can cause a reaction. During a lifestyle change, your body is busy flushing out toxins and you don't want your skin care to hinder your efforts.
Inspired by all of you, and our friends in the health and wellness industry, we created two Skin Detox Boxes - one for the face and one for the body. Each box contains 4 essential skin care products that are extremely gentle and made with minimal ingredients. They are formulated to nurture skin without overwhelming your system with too many ingredients.
MEET OUR BODY DETOX BOX
Our facial appearance typically takes precedent, but it's important not to forget about the skin that covers the rest of our body. The skin that is most often a victim of sweat, stress, and sun damage. To take care of this skin during a detox we recommend a series of four products - deodorant, bath salts, an exfoliator, and a moisturizer. We also recommend a tool - a dry brush, a time-tested exterior brush that helps stimulate the Lymph system and move toxins out of the body. GET YOUR BODY DETOX BOX HERE
Typical deodorants have been known to contain toxins, including parabens, aluminum, and artificial fragrance. You may have heard claims about deodorant and its ties to breast cancer. But what are the alternatives?
A similar formula to Sally B's veteran deodorant product Herba Pads, our new Herbal Deodorant has a blend of herbs and activated charcoal (from coconut husks!) that keeps the underarm clean and free from bacteria. This deodorant comes packaged with pre-moistened cotton pads that you wipe under the arm as often as necessary throughout the day. While the pad may look intimidating, colored black from the charcoal, the color does not linger on skin or rub off on clothing.
If this product is your first departure away from an antiperspirant, there will be a bit of a learning curve. During your detox, your body's response will be to sweat. It's part of the cleansing process. These pads will not keep you from sweating like an antiperspirant, but they will remove any smell that may accompany it. At first, we recommend carrying the pads with you and applying as often as you need them. However, over time, you'll notice that your body will acclimate to your new, healthy lifestyle and you won't need to use them as often to stay fresh
Purifying Bath Salts
Soaking in a bath with bath salts can assist with the detoxification process. Our Purifying Bath Salts contains both Dead Sea and Epsom Salts, as well as a purifying blend of organic essential oils especially formulated by a certified aromatherapist. There is also added organic oatmeal to soothe the skin.
Moisturizing Body Buff
A good scrub to rid the skin of excess dead skin does a lot to the appearance of the skin. Our Moisturizing Body Buff - the same product as our best-selling Sugar Scrub, just without essential oils - not only rids the skin of dead skin cells to allow fresh skin to emerge, but it also adds moisture. While the product is unscented, you may get a whiff of chocolate. That's just the organic cocoa butter!
Luxe Body Butter
This brand new product can be used to moisturize the whole body. During times of dietary and other lifestyle changes, skin can become extremely dry. Our Luxe Body Butter, with anti-inflammatory Organic Tamanu Oil, works to keep it soft and moisturized. While we offer several scented varieties on the web and in our retail shop, our Detox Box contains the unscented option.
This tool is offered as an additional way to stimulate the lymph system to aid in the detoxifying process. To use this brush, start at the outer most parts and gently brush towards the heart with small, repetitive sweeps. Because of its efficiency, we recommend using it every night before you hop in the shower or go to sleep. Overtime you will notice its benefits.
MEET OUR FACIAL DETOX BOX
Our face is the oftentimes the first to show imperfections at any sign of change. Our Facial Detox Box helps to keep skin calm and balanced during any sort of lifestyle shift, to ultimately create a healthy foundation. After your month of using our Facial Detox Box, your skin will have been acclimated to organic, from-nature ingredients, so you can begin building your non-toxic skin care routine. GET YOUR FACIAL DETOX BOX HERE.
Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser
It's our best selling cleanser in a 2 oz pump, without the Lavender essential oil. This cleanser is effective and beneficial for every skin type. The organic Tamanu Oil is an anti-inflammatory that calms rosecea, sunburn, acne, and rashes. Use this cleanser morning and night to keep the skin free of bacteria and dirt. This not only allows your other products to work to their full potential, but also keeps skin feeling super soft and clean.
Peptide Boosting Serum
An oil-free moisturizer that boosts collagen and promotes the growth of new skin cells. This product is the perfect follow up to cleansing, as its lightweight design quickly absorbs into skin and works from deep within to keep skin moisturized all day.
Daily 3 Moisturizer
A brand new, light-weight moisturizer designed exclusively for our Detox Box that contains moisture-rich organic oils like Argan, Camellia Seed, Macadamia, Avocado, and Rose Hip Seed. It also has soothing properties to truly enrich skin health.
Charcoal Mud Mask
This dry blend of French Green Clay, herbs, Bamboo, and Charcoal is intended to be mixed with water and organic honey to help extract toxins from the skin. It also exfoliates, moisturizes, and repairs. The result: clean, fresh skin.
Your tool in this box is a hand-made, bamboo stretch headband. We made it extra wide so that every bit of hair stays off your face while you wash your face and apply your products.
Whether you are making a commitment to enhance your overall health, launching detox cleanse, newly pregnant and seeking out healthier products or making a change to your diet for any reason, these boxes will compliment your transition. Cleansing on the inside and outside will simplify the transition so your true beauty can shine through.
Questions about a skin detox? Email us at email@example.com.
Summer (Skin) Lovin'! 0 Comments
While it’s great to find a skin care routine for our skin type, it is important to remember that there is no such thing as a “set it and forget it” approach. We have to constantly be aware of other factors - including diet, personal health, and environment - that can impact the look, feel, and health of our skin. As these external factors change, so do our skin care needs. This is especially true during seasonal weather changes. In the winter our skin is up against cool, dry air and in the summer it’s up against sun and heat.
While everyone’s routine will differ slightly, here are our recommended products for the summer:
Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser. All year round we recommend using a gentle cleanser like our EWG VERIFIED™ Tamanu Luxury Facial Cleanser twice a day. But in the summer you may need to use it more than twice a day. If you find yourself sweaty after time spent outdoors, wash your face when you’re finished. It is important that dirt, grime, heavy sunscreen, and other bacteria picked up during the day do not linger on skin or clog pores.
Peptide Booster Serum. Not only is our EWG VERIFIED™ Peptide Booster Serum oil-free (our skin is naturally more oily in hot environments), but it also acts as a superior moisturizer. Even though summer air can be moist (hello, humidity), the heat has a tendency to dry skin out. Plus, the pea peptides in this serum have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and cell-repairing properties.
Intensive Eye Repair. The bright, summer sun causes us to squint more than usual, and it’s true, squinting can lead to fine lines and wrinkles. Our Intensive Eye Repair moisturizes skin and reduces inflammation under the eye to keep skin smooth and supple, and, most of all, wrinkle-free.
Get Even Finishing Powder. In the summer we tend to wear less makeup. While you may not need a foundation or eye makeup, consider adding our Get Even Finishing Powder to your makeup bag. This translucent powder evens out skin tone, gives the face a polished, yet natural look, and can even help blot excess oil from skin. It can be worn alone on top of clean skin or on top of our Tinted Moisturizer for a matte finish and great summer look.
Fruit Acid Toner. Not all skin types require the use of a toner every day, but in the summer it might be beneficial for it to make a regular appearance in your routine. Because of sweat, sunscreen, and other environmental stresses associated with summer, our pores become larger and can become clogged. Our Fruit Acid Toner helps to naturally refine pores and keep them clean. It also keeps dead skin from accumulating, allowing fresh new skin to receive the other great products you are applying.
Antioxidant Skin Boost. Sun exposure can lead to free radicals, which can lead to unhealthy cells, which can lead to wrinkles. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, which is why we bottled them up into our Antioxidant Skin Boost. Just add a scoop to your Peptide Booster or other cream each night and let Vitamin C, Hyaluronic Acid, and Resveratrol repair skin for a refreshed, healthy glow each morning.
Our face isn’t the only thing affected by summer. The rest of our body takes a toll, too. When used in tandem, our Sugar Scrub and Healing Hand Butter leave hands, feet, arms, and legs silky smooth - ready for flipflops, shorts, and tanks. And must haves for every beach bag, picnic basket, or backpack? One of our Lip Yummies, bottle of B Unbitten, and B Soothed. Soothe chapped lips, keep skin from irritating bug bites, and soothe irritated skin, whether from sun burn, blisters, or outdoor wear and tear. Not only will your skin be happy, but you will be, too!
May Is Skin Cancer Awareness Month 0 Comments
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, each year two million people are diagnosed with skin cancer. It is the most common form of cancer, and also one of the most preventable. As summer approaches, it is important to understand the risks of cancer and how you can take steps to minimize your chances of being diagnosed.
While using organic skin care products and leading a healthy lifestyle can improve the health and look of your skin, they are not a foolproof line of defense against the sun’s harmful UV rays. However, there are several ways to protect your skin to keep you cancer-free.
- Schedule regular visits to your dermatologist. We can’t stress this enough. Dermatologists are trained to see skin anomalies that you may pass off as a freckle, bug bite, or blemish. It’s always good to see your doctor when you notice something awry, but early detection is key. Plus, consider the parts of your body they can see and you can’t (think your neck or your back).
- Think beyond your face. It’s easy to concentrate on the appearance of your face, but skin cancer can pop up anywhere on your body. Even in places you might neglect to check, like between your toes, under fingernails, on your behind, and even the bottoms of your feet. Take measures to protect the skin all over your body, just as you would the skin on your face.
- Get your Vitamin D, but do not burn. We think it’s important to get a daily dose of sunshine and Vitamin D, but we want you to be smart while in the sun. Always, always, always apply a 30+ SPF sunscreen when spending prolonged time outdoors. You can get burnt even when it’s cold or overcast, so make sunscreen a part of your everyday routine.
- Avoid chemical self-tanners and tanning beds. We’re big fans of a sun-kissed look, but only when it comes naturally. The UV rays in tanning beds are much stronger than those from the sun, increasing your risk for skin cancer. And those self-tanning products? They can have potentially harmful ingredients just like any other personal care products on the market, so make sure you check the ingredient listing before you use them.
We realize that we are all guilty of getting too much sun from time to time. If you do, there are some ways to repair damaged skin cells and return some moisture to skin.
- Think antioxidants. Too much sun can cause damaged skin cells, or free radicals, to form in the skin. Antioxidants – which you can find in many of our skin care products – help to repair the skin by lending a spare electron to the damaged cell that is missing one. Both our Antioxidant Serums and our Antioxidant Skin Boost are superb sources of antioxidants.
- Use Tamanu Oil to help calm skin. Inflammed skin can be a side effect of too much sun. Tamanu Oil is a natural anti-inflammatory, so it can calm and soothe skin.
- Seek out moisture-rich products. Look for products with shea butter, cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and pea peptides, to name a few, which will quickly replenish the skin’s moisture content. Do not use products with alcohols, which are drying, or mineral oil, which creates a barrier over skin and does not let moisture reach the skin.
During May – Skin Cancer Awareness Month – we urge you to make an appointment to make your skin health a priority. If you don’t already have a dermatologist or an appointment on the books, make a call to change that. Being proactive about your skin health, with regular trips to the doctor and healthy product choices, just may keep you cancer-free.
Six Ways To Spoil Mom This Weekend 0 Comments
We're big fans of regular pampering, but Mother's Day weekend gives moms even more of an excuse to indulge. Whether you carve out an hour or six, there is more than one way to relax and rejuvenate this weekend. Here are some ways you can treat yourself (or someone you love):
- Whip up a mud mask. Our B Green Mud Mask repairs and enriches skin for a noticeable and beautiful glow. It is a fully customizable product, so you can tweak your recipe to cater to your specific needs. Need a boost of moisture? Add olive oil and avocado. Have irritated skin? Mix in a banana and plain yogurt. Spent too much time in the sun? Honey and yogurt are two great add-ins.
- Give yourself a mani/pedi. There's something therapeutic about having soft and beautiful hands. Plus, with flip flop weather around the corner it's time our feet got a little love, too. Set aside some time to pamper your hands and feet with our Sugar Scrub, Natural Buff Cuticle Bar, and Healing Hand Butter. Because this trio is so effective, we created a collection with them. Meet our discounted Healing Hands Collection.
- Take a long, relaxing bath. Baths are one of our favorite ways to unwind. Set aside some time to truly disconnect and enjoy your soak. We recommend adding a few drops of soothing essential oils to your tub, checking your phone and the door, and sipping on tea or water to stay hydrated. We give you more de-stressing bath tips here.
- Dry brush your skin. Have you been wondering about dry brushing? Carve out some time before or after your bath or shower this weekend to give it a try. The results may not be immediate, but over time you will start seeing a change in your overall health. For dry brushing tips, click here.
- Get outside. Take a walk through a park or just enjoy sitting on your patio. Getting a bit of exercise and breathing fresh air helps to de-stress and rejuvenate the soul.
- Get your beauty sleep. Make a point to get a good, quality night's sleep this weekend. Exhausted skin can show dark circles, puffy skin under eyes, and a dull, muddy complexion. A good night's sleep will not only make you feel good, but it will help you look good, too.
While sometimes it may not seem like a high priority, pampering yourself and your skin is vital to your overall well-being. Your skin will be nourished, refreshed, and enriched, and your stress levels will be low - the perfect combination for confidence and health.
Mother's Day Giveaway 17 Comments
This Mother's Day we want to pamper you and your favorite mom in organic luxury. Moms are some of the hardest working, caring, and special people on the planet and we want to know about your favorite mom. Let us know about your favorite mom in the comments below and we'll choose one entry at random and treat you both (the entrant and the nominee) to a Sally B's Spa Day Gift Package, which includes: a Lemongrass Sugar Scrub, Natural Buff Cuticle Bar, and B Green Mud Mask. Three skin-loving products that will enrich and beautify the skin.
Nominate your favorite mom in the comment section below and we'll choose one entry at random on May 8, 2016. We'll announce the winner on May 9, 2016 on our Facebook page, as well as notify the winner by email.
Recently we discussed why, as a company, we were currently not pursuing USDA Organic Certification for our products. What we couldn’t tell you, was that around the same time we wrote that blog, an important verification program was being developed by the Environmental Working Group (EWG): EWG VERIFIED: FOR YOUR HEALTH™. When the program was announced last Fall, we jumped at the chance to submit our products (and heaps and heaps of other information). We have been huge fans of the EWG and their work to protect human health and the environment through research, unbiased testing, advocacy, and education. They strive to increase transparency in the marketplace and highlight the many weak standards that govern consumer products. For example, the U.S. government does not require safety testing on personal care items before they hit the store shelves. Companies can use almost any ingredient – including potentially harmful ones – in their products.
This mission, which we believe in so much, is the foundation of EWG VERIFIED™ program, so for us, this mark is a powerful one to place on our products.
Seeing the EWG VERIFIED™ mark means that a product avoids the EWG’s ingredients of concern, and the company is committed to full transparency and operates under good manufacturing practices. The product also:
- Meets EWG’S strictest criteria for transparency and health,
- Avoids ingredients that authoritative health bodies have flagged for potential health concerns,
- Has labeling that fully discloses its ingredients,
- Uses adequate preservatives,
- Is free of contaminants, and
- Uses a manufacturer that follows good manufacturing practices.
The EWG VERIFIED™ mark will help shoppers quickly and easily identify personal care products, including cosmetics, which meet EWG’s strictest standards while shopping in stores and online. Items bearing the mark must score in the “green” range in EWG’s Skin Deep® cosmetics database and meet additional criteria set by EWG scientists.
We are excited to announce that some of our products have passed the rigorous verification process and have earned the right to bear the EWG VERIFIED™ mark. You will soon see the seal on our product label, but can already find it on the product listing on our website. Just look for the mark!
We're honored to be one of 12 companies to help kick start this important verification. We will continue to uphold the standards of the EWG VERIFIED™ program and work towards verification for the rest of the Sally B’s product line. In the meantime, you can learn more about EWG VERIFIED™ by visiting: www.ewg.org/ewgverified
5 Questions with Skin IQ 0 Comments
We are big believers in consistency when it comes to skin health. And part of that consistency is regular visits to a dermatologist or esthetician. We recently met Lidia Nistor-Reteneller, an esthtician and founder of Atlanta-based Skin IQ, whose approach to skin care is very much inline with our practices and beliefs. Skin IQ marries a full menu of skin-enriching services with healthy, mindful product selection to create a personalized treatment plan to enrich each client's natural beauty.
When Skin IQ asked to carry Sally B's Skin Yummies in their retail store, we jumped at the chance to become part of this amazing med spa. We caught up with Lidia to learn more about her passion for health, wellness, and beautiful skin.
What inspired you to start your own health and wellness journey of helping others?
Medical background, and obsession since I was 7 years old. Of course it has been an evolutionary process from playing in a "research lab" as a little girl, to nowadays purpose of helping people understand the benefits and methods of balance their mind-body-spirit with the purpose of achieving inner beauty and happiness.
How do you incorporate health and wellness into your daily life?
Either home or studio-based daily yoga, daily meditation for stress management and connection to a higher source, and of course organic food and organic daily supplements, like alpha lipoic acid, CoQ10, omega 3, in addition to daily vitamins. We are the first retailer in the country to sell a vitamin brewing machine.
What is one change everyone can make to improve their health and wellness?
By far, the most effective, affordable, and well-rounded multiple benefits: meditation. This summer I will coach private meditation for anti-aging and anti-stress.
What is your favorite Sally B's product?
All of them are amazing. Hard to choose one. Really.
What is your go-to beauty tip?
Regular salon or self skin care. Consistency is by far the best way to say beautiful from the outside.
To learn more about SkinIQ, visit: www.skiniqmedspa.com
Common Sense Skin Care 0 Comments
With all the skin care products on the market today, finding the perfect skin care routine can sometimes be an overwhelming task. One of the most frequently asked questions we are asked is, “where do I start?” We suggest with taking it back to basics. Simply using common sense can be your ticket to clean, healthy skin.
No matter where you are on your skin care or health journey, here are several things to consider when you’re evaluating your daily skin care routine:
Would you eat the ingredients in your skin care? Harmful ingredients can enter your bloodstream through your skin just as they can by eating them. Would you eat lead, mineral oil, fragrance, or ingredients grown with pesticides? If you wouldn’t put them in your mouth, don’t put them on your body.
Wash your face twice a day. You brush your teeth twice a day, so why wouldn’t you wash your face, too? Between the sun, environment, sweat, and makeup, your face puts up with a lot each day. Washing it both morning and night with a gentle cleanser will take the stress off of skin, while ensuring that skin is free of blemish-causing dirt and bacteria.
Don’t use products you don’t need. Beauty ads and marketing claims may have you thinking you need this product or that product, but you know what’s best for your skin. Don’t overload your skin with unnecessary products and focus on the products that can truly nourish and benefit your skin.
Don’t use old products. A last season eye shadow or lipstick might look like it’s okay to use, but if it’s been your makeup bag longer than a year it’s time to toss it. While most skin care products will have a preservative, they still have a shelf life. After time they can harbor bacteria that can easily transferred to your skin.
Know what is in your products. You know what you’re eating off your dinner plate, but do you know what is inside the product you trust to put all over your body? Does it have parabens, sulfates, or fragrance? Knowing what impact these products have on your health is important to not only you, but your family and those around you.
There’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to skin health, but we can all benefit from using common sense when shopping for skin care products. The same basic principles apply to us all: being mindful about using non-toxic products is a good foundation for clear, healthy skin.
On the market today, there is no shortage of skin care products. There are face washes, eye creams, toners, night creams, and masks for every skin type. The options are plentiful and sometimes overwhelming, especially when our dry skin is craving attention. Moisture is at the forefront of our dry skin woes, but what is the best source of moisture? What is the difference between a serum and a moisturizer?
For starters, both serums and moisturizers offer beneficial moisture to the skin. However, they do so in their own unique way. Serums work from deep within the layers of skin, while moisturizers lock in moisture from the outer most layer.
Moisturizers are traditionally creams made with beneficial oils and emollients, which help soften and hydrate skin, by reducing evaporation. Simply speaking, moisturizers are formulated to create a barrier over the top layer of your skin to lock in moisture against the skin. Over time this “locked” moisture absorbs into the skin.
Serums, on the other hand, are water-based and contain fewer oils, if any at all. This formulation makes it a product that has a super high concentration of active ingredients. They can contain antioxidants, peptides, retinoids, and even alpha hydroxy acids to target specific skin ailments, like aging or dark spots. Serums are lightweight and fast absorbing, and after applying on top of clean skin, they work themselves deep beneath the skin’s top layer to provide moisture and essential nutrients. The high-quality ingredients found inside a serum might make it more expensive than your other products, but a little goes a long way. Only a few drops are enough to feed your skin.
So which one is right for you? If you have a specific skin need, or want to slow the signs of aging, there are few better products than a fast-absorbing serum. However, if you have extremely dry skin, nothing replaces the benefits of a cream moisturizer. In some instances, especially in the winter, using the two in tandem can be beneficial.
When using both a serum and a moisturizer, you want to apply the serum first. After cleansing and/or toning, apply a pea size amount of serum directly onto skin. Then, once it absorbs, apply your moisturizer. Because a serum is formulated to penetrate skin and a moisturizer is not, you do not want to apply a serum on top of a moisturizer. The moisturizer could block a serum's nutrients from reaching the skin. Of course you will have to listen to your skin needs, but we recommend applying a serum and moisturizer both morning and night.
Seasonal dry skin can be tricky. While products are essential to keeping the dry skin at bay, don't forget about the other things you can do for it, too: drink lots of water; mind your nutrition; get your blood pumping; get plenty of rest; stay out of the direct blast of artificial heat; and don't spend too much time in a hot shower. With a mindful approach to skin care and life balance, your skin will remain healthy, happy, and looking its best, despite dry air.
The Importance of Reducing Your Toxic Load 0 Comments
We all have a general idea that toxins are bad for our health and that it is a good idea to stay away from them whenever possible. But do you know the prevalence of toxins in our lives and what they are actually doing to our bodies?
It’s a naïve thought that toxins only come from household cleaners or polluted air. In our daily lives, we are exposed to a myriad of toxins, including those in our home, air, food, cosmetics, and personal care products. They can be found in the artificial sugar you put in your coffee, the candle you burn on your desk, and the salad you eat for dinner. The number of toxins that we are exposed to on a daily basis is staggering...almost unbelievable. A modest estimate says we are exposed to more than 700,000 different toxins each day. These toxins contribute to what is called our “toxic load” and can have serious affects on our health.
You might be surprised, but here are a few effects that toxins could be having on your body:
- Weight Gain. Toxins in our bloodstream affect our body’s ability to balance blood sugar and metabolize cholesterol. Synthetic toxins are also highly fat soluble, meaning the body will create fat to store them instead of expelling them from the body. Not only can this cause weight gain, but overtime it can lead to diabetes.
- Breakouts. If your body is overrun with toxins, your organs and body systems can become overwhelmed. The liver and lymphatic system are vital in filtering out toxins, but if they become congested with toxins, the only way out is through the skin. This can lead to acne, eczema, or other rashes.
- Digestive issues. When your liver, lymphatic system, and large intestine are not working in harmony, waste does not get expelled from the body properly. Carrying a heavy toxic load can lead to chronic problems like inflammation, Irritable Bowl Syndrome, and even Chrohn’s Disease.
- Hormone Imbalance. Toxins can be endocrine disruptors and throw off your body’s hormones. The most commonly affected hormones are estrogen, testosterone, thyroid, insulin, and cortisol. Hormone disruption can lead to health issues like reproductive problems, early puberty, obesity, heart disease, and even breast and other cancers.
So how can you reduce your toxic load? With a bit of mindfulness, you can change daily habits to minimize the toxins introduced to your body. Here are some tips:
- Detox. Choose a cleanse or detox program that will help you rapidly expel toxins from your body and restore health and balance.
- Increase Your Water Intake. While your liver and other organs help to filter out toxins, water can aid in flushing them out. Nutritionist Kimberly Snyder highly recommends jump starting your day with hot water and lemon, another easy and quick way to expel toxins.
- Go Organic. Chemical pesticides are heavily used in agricultural practices and the residue can leach onto the food you eat or in the ingredients used in your skincare products. Choosing the organic option will ensure that hidden toxins aren’t lurking in your salad or moisturizer.
- Aerobic Exercise. Getting the heart pumping, legs moving and lungs inhaling and exhaling at a healthy pace are all benefits of exercise. Activities such as walking, running, yoga, cycling and climbing all benefit the circulatory system and help to keep toxins moving..hopefully right on out of the body.
- Avoid Products Made With Phthalates and BPA. Phthalates are made up of eight hormone-mimicking chemicals. They are used to make plastics softer (like shower curtains) or fragrance in candles or personal care products last longer. Bisphenol A (BPA) is an industrial chemical used to make plastics hard and shiny. Both mimic hormones and can feminize small children and cause cancer later in life.
- Introduce Nutrient-Dense Foods to Your Diet. Think kale, broccoli, spinach, blueberries, and almonds instead of processed, fried, or foods made with artificial flavors and colors. These foods offer the body vitamins and minerals that improve health, increase energy, and keep weight in check. A great way to introduce these foods is with a daily green smoothie.
Our bodies are up against a large toxic burden, so it is important to minimize your exposure when at all possible. The origin of Sally B’s is rooted in this idea. Creating non-toxic products made from organic ingredients is our way of helping us and you live a clean lifestyle. Instead of the toxic options so commonly found in the beauty aisle, you can rest assured that the products from Sally B’s are benefiting your skin and your health.
- Page 1 of 7