How to Choose a Non-Toxic Lipstick
Why are we advocates of nontoxic lipstick at Sally B's Skin Yummies? One reason is that our lips have skin that is much thinner than other types of skin on the body and lacks the hair and sweat glands to protect them leaving lips vulnerable to toxicity and damage from the elements. Another reason is that many maintain that we actually ingest what we wear on our lips. To be on the safe side, we like to think that what we put on our lips is safe enough to eat!
Lead and other toxic substances are unintended contaminants or impurities that can be present at low levels in some color additives and other common ingredients, like water, that are used to produce cosmetics, including lipstick. Here are some tips to use when shopping for nontoxic lipstick:
- The FDA’s position is to limit lead and other impurities to a certain level in cosmetics, so look for companies that avoid heavy metals at all levels.
- Avoid products that use color additives like Yellow No. 5 or Red No. 30, and choose products that achieve color naturally with micas.
- Look for products that use organic oils and butters instead of water.
- Seek out companies that go beyond what the FDA approves and add an extra level of scrutiny to ensure purity of their ingredients.
Since we are passionate about nontoxic skin care products, we use only the highest quality organic, natural, and wildcrafted ingredients for our B Glossy Lip Gloss, Lip Yummies and Lip Skinnies so you can feel good knowing that our lipstick is:
- Made with 98% organic ingredients
- Colored naturally with micas & do not contain Carmine or artificial colors
- Free of gluten, mineral oil & other petroleum-based ingredients
- Contains no artificial flavoring
Find out more about the guidelines we follow HERE.